Skip to main content

My Scavenger Hunt for the Graveyard Rabbit Carnival

Kick yer feet up, folks, this is a long one. Don't worry, it's fun and full of pictures.  You'll enjoy it!

A scavenger hunt in a cemetery? You know I'm there! I excitedly played along for the next edition of the Graveyard Rabbit Carnival. I chose to try and find all the suggested items at one cemetery. That could have been a challenge in itself, but I put the odds in my favor by selecting Riverside Cemetery in Macon, Georgia as my hunting ground. This cemetery was established in 1887 and covers a beautiful 125 acres. It is a delightful mix of old and new tombstones. I especially love it because even the "new" sections have maintained an increasingly "old style" look. Upright markers are the norm, and plots can be decorated to the hilt. I know this makes upkeep more challenging, but I am grateful Riverside has chosen to continue with this layout.

Fifteen items were on the list -- from crosses to flowers to stars to mausoleums -- and I found them all! Some were challenging, though. Grab some lemonade (it's HOT here in Georgia) and come along with me as I show you my findings and a little bit of Riverside Cemetery.

Item 1: the Cross.

Item 2: a heart. This one was slightly difficult, but I found a couple!

Item 3: a fraternal symbol.

Item 4: monuments. I chose works that memorialized more than one individual.
Click to enlarge.  The roughly cut granite marker in the middle at the left
contains a beautiful prayer.

Item 5: flowers. There were many flowers carved in stone, but I chose to go with the vibrant colors of the living!

Item 6: hands. I tried to find hands standing alone, and that proved to be difficult! I thought for sure I would see some "fingers pointing up" or "clasped hands," but I did not.

Item 7: Angels.

Item 8: a bird. I never thought I'd get this one. Turns out I was wrong.

Item 9: trees. I elected to go with live ones again. The Riverside Cemetery landscape is summer green right now, and I want you to see it.


Item 10: a star. This was the hardest thing for me to find! On a final go around, I got creative.

Item 11: an obelisk.

Item 12: four-legged animals. Too cute! I think my favorite has to be the frogs playing cards.

Item 13: a photo. These are the best finds. Surprising to me, they are all new. The etchings in the black granite are awesome.
The center photo was trimmed to fit in the collage.  I would like you to be
sure of his full name - Thomas McRae Hamilton Robinson.

Item 14: a military gravestone. There were too many of these to count. Here is a sampling.
The grave of Hugh Smalling shown in the upper right corner helped make
Riverside Cemetery a finalist in the National Trust for Historic
Preservation's "This Place Matters" contest.

Item 15: a mausoleum.

That's it! I hope you enjoyed seeing my scavenger hunt findings. There's still time for you to join in the fun, too. The deadline for carnival submissions is June 25th. Take part in the scavenger hunt and share your discoveries!

See this post too late to join the carnival? No worries. Search your cemeteries, post your findings on your blog, and leave a link here in the comments. The more the merrier!

Comments

Very aesthetically composed post! I love it!
Sheri Fenley said…
Yeah for you! Outstanding job and you truly kept to the spirit of the hunt!
Julie said…
This is fantastic! I love the way you presented your finds, and I love the creativity (especially the flowers and star). Unfortunately it rained all last weekend, so I wasn't able to get out and do mine...hopefully I can get it done before the deadline...here's praying for sunshine!
Jenny said…
Ah! A triumph, Stephanie! I couldn't help but notice my maiden name -- McManus -- not once but twice! Once on a monument and then again on the military collage (I think) ... I hope I get to do this! Lots of work on my plate but I'd like to try!
S. Lincecum said…
Thanks, everyone! This was so much fun for me -- I hope we get to do it again. :-) I didn't think it was possible, but I do believe I saw this cemetery I'd been to many times before with new eyes.
Carol said…
Simply Fabulous!! Make that

SIMPLY FABOULOUS!!!

Loved the collages!
Where on Graveyard Rabbit was this particular carnival at? LOL or am I too late to join in that particular one. The only one I'm seeing is the one for the most favorite headstone photo.
S. Lincecum said…
Hi, T'Anna! Unfortunately, I think the GYR Carnival is pretty much a thing of the past. This particular one was from 2010. If you would like to see more past entries, go to the website - http://www.thegraveyardrabbit.com - and scroll down the right sidebar. You will see a listing of past carnivals to view. I remember having so much fun doing this; you ought to give it a go for yourself. Thanks for stopping by!

Popular posts from this blog

Rocks, Rocks, and More Rocks

Why do people put rocks on grave stones? Some time ago, I learned that the rocks signified a visitor. That is true enough, but I decided to learn a little more about the custom and share my findings with you. Putting rocks on tombstones is most often described as a Jewish custom. There are many "Ask a Rabbi" columns out there, but I did not find one that knew for sure where the custom originated. They all agreed, however, that a rock symbolized a visitor and when put on a tombstone said, "I remember you." I also read that some people pick up a rock wherever they are when they think of a person that has passed. Then, the next time they visit the grave, they place the rock to say, "I wish you were here." Rabbi Shraga Simmons offers a deeper meaning: "We are taught that it is an act of ultimate kindness and respect to bury someone and place a marker at the site. After a person is buried, of course, we can no longer participate in burying them. H

Southern Cross of Honor

I'm late to this discussion, but it's one I'd like to join. :-) Terry Thornton at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Hill Country started with Grave Marker Symbols: The Southern Cross of Honor and UCV (link no longer available). Judith Shubert at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Covered Bridges continued with Hood County Texas: C.S.A. Veterans & Southern Cross of Honor Symbol . [UPDATE, 1 June 2009: Judith has moved this post to the blog, Cemeteries with Texas Ties . The link has been corrected to reflect this move. You may also link to her article via her nice comment on this post.] Wikipedia states: The Southern Cross of Honor was a military decoration meant to honor the officers, noncommissioned officers, and privates for their valor in the armed forces of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. It was formally approved by the Congress of the Confederate States on October 13, 1862, and was originally intended to be on par with the Union Arm

Thursday Link Love: EyeWitness To History

Yesterday, a link was added to the Genealogy Research Resources Group at Diigo. The link was to the website titled EyeWitness to History.com: History through the eyes of those who lived it . It's a great site, and I encourage all to visit it. Here are several items I found while snooping around. - Inside a Nazi Death Camp, 1944 : "Hitler established the first concentration camp soon after he came to power in 1933. The system grew to include about 100 camps divided into two types: concentration camps for slave labor in nearby factories and death camps for the systematic extermination of "undesirables" including Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally retarded and others." - Crash of the Hindenburg, 1937 : "Radio reporter Herbert Morrison, sent to cover the airship's arrival, watched in horror. His eye witness description of the disaster was the first coast-to-coast radio broadcast and has become a classic piece of audio history." [You ca





SouthernGraves.blogspot.com

The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"

So I answered, "O Lord God, You know."

Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!' Thus says the Lord God to these bones: 'Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live...'" (Ezekiel 37:1-5, NKJV)