Skip to main content

1.3 Million Deaths

I'm a military brat, and proud of it.

The military brats subculture has emerged over the last 200 years.  The age of the phenomenon has meant military brats have also been described by a number of researchers as one of the America's oldest and yet least well-known and largely invisible subcultures.  They have also been described as a "modern nomadic subculture".  [Wikipedia]

Genealogy-001

My two grandfathers, Asa Logue (left) and B. J. Lincecum, and my father.  Not pictured is my maternal
grandmother.  She also served.  All saw war, though not all saw front-line combat.

I never considered myself as part of a subculture, but I suppose it's true.  Being America's oldest subculture makes sense, as the United States Army turns 241 today.  Since America' birthday is considered to be 4 July 1776, the United States Army is actually a year older than the country.

And though I did not plan to include this sentiment when I first decided to write this post, here it comes.  The reason we are a largely invisible subculture, in my opinion, is we learn duty at a young age.  You don't ask questions, and you don't whine.  You perform your obligatory task.  And, yes, I'm one of those who firmly believes that spouses and children of soldiers also serve their country.  I don't pretend it is to the same degree as those directly involved, but it is still service.  Like it or not, when a parent is a member of the United States military, that is their priority.  When the country calls, they must go.  Period.  No questions, no whining.  (I am in no way implying soldiers are not good, loving, solid parents.  So don't go there.)

A few sources, including the Department of Veterans Affairs, estimate the number of soldiers who died serving the United States since the American Revolution to be 1.1 to 1.3 million.  Since I don't think the numbers include those who died at a later date due to wounds received or disease contracted, I'm leaning toward a number even higher than 1.3 million.

As you might imagine, soldiers of the United States Army figure dearly in those numbers.

100_7891

"The willingness to sacrifice is the prelude to freedom."
This memorial is dedicated with appreciation to the men and women whose loyalty and service during
times of war and peace define the character of this great nation.
"Remember Their Sacrifices"

100_7893

"Two hundred forty-one years ago, our nation's leaders established the Continental Army.  Today, the Army
is the strategic land power of the joint force; called upon to prevent, shape, and win against our adversaries."
www.army.mil

100_7899

The American Soldier – Always Ready, Always Leading – is "trained and ready to engage the nation's enemies in
conventional, asymmetrical, or full spectrum combat operations."
www.army.mil

Fannin County Veterans Memorial Park

God and the Soldier we adore
In times of danger, not before.
When danger has passed,
and all things right
God is forgotten and
the Soldier denied.

Happy 241st Birthday, U.S. Army! I am forever grateful for your service, and deeply humbled by your sacrifice.

Comments

Darla M Sands said…
Wow. This brought tears to my eyes. I agree that military families also sacrifice. Thank you for making this point. Duty, service, honor - these infuse our nations heroes and their loved ones to a tremendous degree. We need to treat our veterans a thousand times better.

Thank you for this. And for your family's service/sacrifice. Best wishes!
S. Lincecum said…
I so much appreciate the comment, Darla. It's nice to know it was read and received.

Popular posts from this blog

Rocks, Rocks, and More Rocks

Why do people put rocks on grave stones? Some time ago, I learned that the rocks signified a visitor. That is true enough, but I decided to learn a little more about the custom and share my findings with you. Putting rocks on tombstones is most often described as a Jewish custom. There are many "Ask a Rabbi" columns out there, but I did not find one that knew for sure where the custom originated. They all agreed, however, that a rock symbolized a visitor and when put on a tombstone said, "I remember you." I also read that some people pick up a rock wherever they are when they think of a person that has passed. Then, the next time they visit the grave, they place the rock to say, "I wish you were here." Rabbi Shraga Simmons offers a deeper meaning: "We are taught that it is an act of ultimate kindness and respect to bury someone and place a marker at the site. After a person is buried, of course, we can no longer participate in burying them. H

Southern Cross of Honor

I'm late to this discussion, but it's one I'd like to join. :-) Terry Thornton at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Hill Country started with Grave Marker Symbols: The Southern Cross of Honor and UCV (link no longer available). Judith Shubert at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Covered Bridges continued with Hood County Texas: C.S.A. Veterans & Southern Cross of Honor Symbol . [UPDATE, 1 June 2009: Judith has moved this post to the blog, Cemeteries with Texas Ties . The link has been corrected to reflect this move. You may also link to her article via her nice comment on this post.] Wikipedia states: The Southern Cross of Honor was a military decoration meant to honor the officers, noncommissioned officers, and privates for their valor in the armed forces of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. It was formally approved by the Congress of the Confederate States on October 13, 1862, and was originally intended to be on par with the Union Arm

Thursday Link Love: EyeWitness To History

Yesterday, a link was added to the Genealogy Research Resources Group at Diigo. The link was to the website titled EyeWitness to History.com: History through the eyes of those who lived it . It's a great site, and I encourage all to visit it. Here are several items I found while snooping around. - Inside a Nazi Death Camp, 1944 : "Hitler established the first concentration camp soon after he came to power in 1933. The system grew to include about 100 camps divided into two types: concentration camps for slave labor in nearby factories and death camps for the systematic extermination of "undesirables" including Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally retarded and others." - Crash of the Hindenburg, 1937 : "Radio reporter Herbert Morrison, sent to cover the airship's arrival, watched in horror. His eye witness description of the disaster was the first coast-to-coast radio broadcast and has become a classic piece of audio history." [You ca





SouthernGraves.blogspot.com

The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"

So I answered, "O Lord God, You know."

Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!' Thus says the Lord God to these bones: 'Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live...'" (Ezekiel 37:1-5, NKJV)