Skip to main content

Daniel Ryder, U.S. Colored Infantry

Maybe it's because these stones are not common in my area of the South. All I know is once I saw this stone, I became fascinated with the man it stood to memorialize. African American research is a whole different type than what I am used to; it's much harder. It's even more difficult once you hit the slavery period. I cannot promise what I have found is the gospel, but it's what I believe is the likely story. As is the proper path to take in genealogy, I will start with the death of Daniel Ryder.

Daniel Ryder is buried in Liberty United Methodist Church Cemetery in Bibb County, Georgia. At one time, the area was known as the Walden community, or Rutland district. His stone is a simple military stone with no dates. It reads:

Daniel Ryder
Co K
137
U.S. Cld. Inf.

There is stone to the left of his that is partially sticking up out of the ground with no visible markings. Is this a random stone? Maybe it's a marker for Daniel's wife, Dilly Ann.

Daniel is buried a good distance away from the rest of the individuals within the cemetery. I can only assume it's because of his race. I believe Daniel died between 1910 and 1920. "Separate but equal?" Here's a photo showing the distance. I was kneeling at Daniel's stone when I took the picture.


Daniel and his family are found in the 1910 Rutland District, Bibb County, Georgia Federal Census:

- Ryder, Daniel (Head) age 62; married 42 years; born Virginia; Farmer
- Ryder, Dilly Ann (Wife) age 59; 7 children (6 living); born South Carolina
- Williams, Will (Son-In-Law) age 33; married 6 years (2nd marriage); born Georgia; Farmer
- Williams, Stella (Daughter) age 28; born Georgia

This entry suggests Daniel was born about 1848 and married Dilly Ann about 1868.

Daniel and his family are then found in the 1900 Rutland District, Bibb County, Georgia Federal Census:

- Ryder, Daniel (Head) born December 1847; married 31 years; born Virginia; Farmer
- Ryder, Dilliann (Wife) born January 1850
- Ryder, Estella (Daughter) born March 1880, Georgia; Farm Laborer
- Ryder, Bessie (Daughter) born December 1884, Georgia; Farm Laborer

Daniel's son William and his family were next:

- Ryder, William (Head) born August 1872; married 10 years; born Georgia; Farm Laborer
- Ryder, Georgian (Wife) born May 1870, Georgia
- Ryder, Daniel (Son) born July 1891, Georgia
- Ryder, William (Son) born August 1893, Georgia
- Ryder, Clifford (Son) born May 1895, Georgia
- Ryder, Evaline (Daughter) born March 1898, Georgia

I can go back once more. Here is Daniel and family in the 1880 Rutland District, Bibb County, Georgia Federal Census:

- Daniel Ryder (Self) age 33, born Virginia, Laborer
- Dilly Ann Ryder (Wife) age 32, born Georgia, Keeping House
- Nora Ryder (Daughter) age 10, born Georgia
- Willie Ryder (Son) age 8, born Georgia
- Alverta Ryder (Daughter) age 4, born Georgia
- Friddy Ryder (Son) age 2, born Georgia
- Stella Ryder (Daughter) age 2 months, born Georgia

I could not easily find Daniel Ryder in the 1870 census. The prior records suggest he was married to Dilly Ann by that time, and possibly had one child.

Between 1865 and 1866, Daniel Ryder was a private in Company K, 137 U. S. Colored Infantry Regiment. This regiment was organized in Selma, Alabama in 1865 and mustered in Macon, Georgia. Duty was in the Department of Georgia until 1866. Some units were assigned to cleanup and burial details in and near Andersonville. The recruits were mostly farmers, laborers, and ex-slaves. Sounds like Daniel was all three.

Daniel can be found in the Soldiers and Sailors System as Daniel Rider. His name is on the African American Civil War Memorial in Washington, DC - plaque #E-139.


Now, can we go farther back? I have a hunch Daniel Ryder was a slave owned by William Ryder of Houston and Bibb counties, Georgia. I'm going by the fact that many slaves took the names of their "masters" after emancipation. The fact that Daniel had a son named William might also be a clue.

If I am correct, the 1860 Bibb County, Georgia Slave Schedule has William Ryder owning 9 slaves. One was a 13 year old boy. There was a 33 year old female, but no male around that age.

The 1850 Houston County, Georgia Slave Schedule shows William Ryder owned 5 slaves. One was a 2 year old boy. There was a 40 year old female, but no male around that age.

I believe the young boy in each of these slave schedules is Daniel Ryder. Aside from the horrifying fact that he was a slave, it does not appear that he was ever with his father. He may not have even been with his mother, though I do hope (even though the ages don't fit this theory) the older woman on each of these schedules was his mother. Unfortunately, it seems Daniel Ryder spent the first 17 years of his life a slave and apart from his family. I wonder if he ever was with them again.

A somewhat interesting fact is that Daniel's one-time owner, William Ryder, and William's wife are also buried in Liberty United Methodist Church cemetery. This, in my opinion, further boosts the theory William at one time owned Daniel.


William Ryder
Aug 15, 1819 Liverpool, Eng
Dec 12, 1895


Sarah
Wife of William Ryder
Mar 15, 1823
Aug 17, 1907

Another possibly interesting note: William Ryder, owner of Daniel, was a teacher. I wonder if he allowed Daniel to be taught to read, write, etc,...

After the research of Daniel, I can say I am still fascinated by him and his story. If there is anyone out there with any information about this man, I am certainly interested in knowing more about him. Especially if any corrections need to be made to the research I conducted, please let me know. Lastly, I thank Daniel for his service to our country.

Comments

Coco said…
Hi Stephanie,

No idea if you will get this after all these years, but if you are still interested in this subject, I may have lots of information for you. We just finished a project for the Georgia Department of Transportation in Bibb County and this family, actually their entire community, figure into the history strongly. Check out our project website at www.avondaleburialplace.com and feel free to contact me about it via that website if you want to talk! I actually just met a direct descendant of Daniel and Dilly. Julie Coco
EZRyder said…
Hello. I wish I knew more about it. I saw the 1860 manifest and it saddened me to see that slaves names weren't even listed. I am glad to know this story. William Ryder was my great great grandfather.
Anonymous said…
Daniel and Dilliann were my great great grandparents.We had no idea why he was buried out there.We are searching for more information about our family history. Any information that can help us. My contact information is pambook55@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Rocks, Rocks, and More Rocks

Why do people put rocks on grave stones? Some time ago, I learned that the rocks signified a visitor. That is true enough, but I decided to learn a little more about the custom and share my findings with you. Putting rocks on tombstones is most often described as a Jewish custom. There are many "Ask a Rabbi" columns out there, but I did not find one that knew for sure where the custom originated. They all agreed, however, that a rock symbolized a visitor and when put on a tombstone said, "I remember you." I also read that some people pick up a rock wherever they are when they think of a person that has passed. Then, the next time they visit the grave, they place the rock to say, "I wish you were here." Rabbi Shraga Simmons offers a deeper meaning: "We are taught that it is an act of ultimate kindness and respect to bury someone and place a marker at the site. After a person is buried, of course, we can no longer participate in burying them. H

Southern Cross of Honor

I'm late to this discussion, but it's one I'd like to join. :-) Terry Thornton at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Hill Country started with Grave Marker Symbols: The Southern Cross of Honor and UCV (link no longer available). Judith Shubert at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Covered Bridges continued with Hood County Texas: C.S.A. Veterans & Southern Cross of Honor Symbol . [UPDATE, 1 June 2009: Judith has moved this post to the blog, Cemeteries with Texas Ties . The link has been corrected to reflect this move. You may also link to her article via her nice comment on this post.] Wikipedia states: The Southern Cross of Honor was a military decoration meant to honor the officers, noncommissioned officers, and privates for their valor in the armed forces of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. It was formally approved by the Congress of the Confederate States on October 13, 1862, and was originally intended to be on par with the Union Arm

Thursday Link Love: EyeWitness To History

Yesterday, a link was added to the Genealogy Research Resources Group at Diigo. The link was to the website titled EyeWitness to History.com: History through the eyes of those who lived it . It's a great site, and I encourage all to visit it. Here are several items I found while snooping around. - Inside a Nazi Death Camp, 1944 : "Hitler established the first concentration camp soon after he came to power in 1933. The system grew to include about 100 camps divided into two types: concentration camps for slave labor in nearby factories and death camps for the systematic extermination of "undesirables" including Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally retarded and others." - Crash of the Hindenburg, 1937 : "Radio reporter Herbert Morrison, sent to cover the airship's arrival, watched in horror. His eye witness description of the disaster was the first coast-to-coast radio broadcast and has become a classic piece of audio history." [You ca





SouthernGraves.blogspot.com

The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"

So I answered, "O Lord God, You know."

Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!' Thus says the Lord God to these bones: 'Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live...'" (Ezekiel 37:1-5, NKJV)