Skip to main content

Most Recent Road Trip: Charleston, South Carolina (#5 of 5)

During a recent visit with my aunt, I was reminded that I had not blogged about our most recent road trip. "I've been tuning in," she said. Sounds like a polite way of saying, "I'm waiting." So here we go to Charleston, South Carolina.

I actually have blogged about the trip to Charleston last year in a few snippets. I'll link to them throughout.

The first great thing about our most recent road trip was the hotel. We stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel. It's a historical hotel, first opening in 1924. The Francis Marion underwent a $12 million National Trust award-winning restoration. I loved it. The only drawback I noticed was the bathroom was small. Didn't bother me, though. The view was fantastic. You could see much of downtown Charleston and the harbor. In the picture below, the steeple in the distance is from St. Philip's Church (more about that later).


The Francis Marion has a nice restaurant called the Swamp Fox. They cooked one of the best hamburgers I've ever eaten.

Across from the hotel was a small park containing a remnant from a horn work dating back to the Siege of Charleston in 1780, toward the end of the American Revolution. Yep, I touched it.

Battery Park is a place we went to a couple of times. The park has a storied history; it was a place for artillery during the Civil War. This landmark is also noted for its antebellum homes. Here are a couple of pastel colored homes on a corner. I have seen this row of houses in magazines many times.

Of course, no trip to Charleston would be complete without a visit to Fort Sumter, where the opening shots of the Civil War were fired on 12 April 1861. We took a nice boatride to the fort one morning. The temperatures were high, so a morning ride was nice and breezy. The museums at the dock as well as the fort were well done and quite interesting. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos of Fort Sumter I deemed worthy enough for this post. The trip was fun and informative -- take my word for it. One of the "neatest" things we saw was the flag that flew over the fort during the 1861 bombardment.

The boatride itself was, as I mentioned, enjoyable. We had good seats going both ways. Here is a photo I took not long after leaving the dock. Once again, you can St. Philip's Church steeple.


A few other noted things we did included eating at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., visiting the Old Slave Mart Museum, and browsing at Market Street.



Onto the churches and cemeteries! Believe it or not, visiting a churchyard cemetery in downtown Charleston is not as easy as you might think. Many are only open for a few hours a day, and some are only open by appointment. Since I did not know this, we were not prepared for visiting these cemeteries. I did, however, ooh and ahh over many we passed by. One churchyard we were only able to get a glimpse of through the gates was St. Michael's.

This is a church and cemetery to which I must return. St. Michael's is the oldest church edifice in the city of Charleston. The cornerstone was laid in 1752. Except for the addition of the sacristy in 1883, the structure of the building has been changed little. President George Washington worshiped at St. Michael's in 1791, and General Robert E. Lee worshiped there about 70 years later. The pews made of native cedar are the same as they have always been. All of this I learned after our arrival in Charleston. Again, I was unprepared for a visit. I must do better research!

One churchyard we were able to visit was St. Philip's. It was established in 1680. This cemetery took my breath away. The stones and artwork were beautiful. I took many photos, as well as a short video. I hope you will follow the link to my page on Southern Graves dedicated to St. Philip's Church Cemetery. Edward Rutledge, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, is buried in the churchyard. Another notable figure, Major General Thomas Pinckney, is also buried there. I wrote about the Major in From the Life of General Thomas Pinckney.

There were several other churchyard cemeteries in downtown Charleston I will have to make a return trip to visit.

There was a couple of cemeteries I was prepared to visit. Bethany Cemetery and the famous Magnolia Cemetery. Bethany Cemetery is a 50+ acre cemetery owned by St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. It was founded in 1856. A large amount of the individuals interred are German. The landscape is picturesque and there are many beautiful stones. The photos and information gathered from Bethany were posted as contributions to FindAGrave.

Magnolia Cemetery's 128 acres on the banks of the Cooper River were once a 19th-century rice plantation. Buried here are around 35,000 people. Among them are 2,200 Civil War veterans (including crews of the Confederate submarine Hunley). Once again, I hope you'll follow a link to my Southern Graves page for Magnolia Cemetery. Included are several photos and transcriptions, as well as a couple of videos.

A final cemetery we visited briefly was St. Lawrence. I can't tell you much about this cemetery, but here are a couple of photos:



Something I barely mentioned early in this post is the high temperatures during our visit to Charleston, South Carolina. The heat was almost unbearable. Consequently, we did not do a thorough visit of Magnolia Cemetery, despite all the photos taken. I would love to return and spend even more time in this beautiful cemetery.

Now, for your amusement, let me add one thing... If you have read any of my road trip posts, you might remember my Aunt is quite the picture taker. I take them, as well, but mine are mostly of tombstones. :-) My Aunt prefers photos with family in them. (I know, what a novel idea!) Way back during our trip to Gatlinburg, I'm afraid a tradition was born. There now is at least one themed, or silly photo taken on each of our road trips. My Mom and I often have to wait for my Aunt to find a place to sit the camera, position us correctly, and set the timer. The final item for this post will be one such photo. I consider it appropriate since it was taken in Magnolia Cemetery under a "scary looking" tree.

Comments

Greta Koehl said…
I think that last photo caps off the story very nicely!
S. Lincecum said…
Thanks, Greta! I might not pass that kind comment along to my Aunt, though. It might be used as ammunition for getting us in future photos! :-)
Diane Wright said…
That was so much fun to read!! I wish I was on that trip too. Maybe I will hop in my car today and run away there!! The final pix of your family is terrific!!!
S. Lincecum said…
Thanks, Diane! We do have a lot of fun. Our next road trip should be coming up in late April or early May, I hope. In fact, I need to get busy deciding where to go.
Anonymous said…
i think you did a great job.i plan on a visit this may 2011.
bill

Popular posts from this blog

Rocks, Rocks, and More Rocks

Why do people put rocks on grave stones? Some time ago, I learned that the rocks signified a visitor. That is true enough, but I decided to learn a little more about the custom and share my findings with you. Putting rocks on tombstones is most often described as a Jewish custom. There are many "Ask a Rabbi" columns out there, but I did not find one that knew for sure where the custom originated. They all agreed, however, that a rock symbolized a visitor and when put on a tombstone said, "I remember you." I also read that some people pick up a rock wherever they are when they think of a person that has passed. Then, the next time they visit the grave, they place the rock to say, "I wish you were here." Rabbi Shraga Simmons offers a deeper meaning: "We are taught that it is an act of ultimate kindness and respect to bury someone and place a marker at the site. After a person is buried, of course, we can no longer participate in burying them. H

Southern Cross of Honor

I'm late to this discussion, but it's one I'd like to join. :-) Terry Thornton at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Hill Country started with Grave Marker Symbols: The Southern Cross of Honor and UCV (link no longer available). Judith Shubert at The Graveyard Rabbit of the Covered Bridges continued with Hood County Texas: C.S.A. Veterans & Southern Cross of Honor Symbol . [UPDATE, 1 June 2009: Judith has moved this post to the blog, Cemeteries with Texas Ties . The link has been corrected to reflect this move. You may also link to her article via her nice comment on this post.] Wikipedia states: The Southern Cross of Honor was a military decoration meant to honor the officers, noncommissioned officers, and privates for their valor in the armed forces of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. It was formally approved by the Congress of the Confederate States on October 13, 1862, and was originally intended to be on par with the Union Arm

Thursday Link Love: EyeWitness To History

Yesterday, a link was added to the Genealogy Research Resources Group at Diigo. The link was to the website titled EyeWitness to History.com: History through the eyes of those who lived it . It's a great site, and I encourage all to visit it. Here are several items I found while snooping around. - Inside a Nazi Death Camp, 1944 : "Hitler established the first concentration camp soon after he came to power in 1933. The system grew to include about 100 camps divided into two types: concentration camps for slave labor in nearby factories and death camps for the systematic extermination of "undesirables" including Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally retarded and others." - Crash of the Hindenburg, 1937 : "Radio reporter Herbert Morrison, sent to cover the airship's arrival, watched in horror. His eye witness description of the disaster was the first coast-to-coast radio broadcast and has become a classic piece of audio history." [You ca





SouthernGraves.blogspot.com

The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"

So I answered, "O Lord God, You know."

Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!' Thus says the Lord God to these bones: 'Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live...'" (Ezekiel 37:1-5, NKJV)